The winter months bring plenty of fun with them. Between skiing, snowboarding, snowball fights and skating, you are at risk for hurting your teeth. Here are some ways to stay safe while having fun with the help of your best dentists in Bristol VA and Blountville TN.
If you are one of the many people that enjoy skiing during the winter, here are some tips for you.
· Don’t ski at a level higher than you’re experienced for – Attacking a difficult hill when you haven’t been on a slope in years isn’t a good idea. Start slowly and work your way up.
· Get good at turning – A majority of dental trauma happens when you run into other people. If you know how to turn, you can avoid this pitfall.
· Learn how to stop and fall – A quick lesson from an instructor will teach you the proper way to stop. In addition, learning how to fall properly can save you from injury as well.
The basic rules apply here as with skiing. You will need to learn to fall a little differently, but a little practice will make this easy to accomplish.
This is a dangerous pastime if you aren’t careful. Most injuries are a result of plowing into obstacles or being ejected from your sled. Know your environment and control your speeds to remain safe.
Injuries from skating tend to come after a fall, especially when your face comes in contact with the ice. Learning how to fall properly is the most important step you can take to protect yourself.
There are few things that are better than a snowball fight. Keep in mind that it is also a great way to get a black eye or lose a tooth. Here are some snowball fighting tips to help you out:
· Build a fort to protect yourself
· Supply yourself with snowballs so you won’t get caught off guard
· Learn to duck
· Create a safe word that cancels play if you are in any danger
· Agree that no one will throw a snowball packed with ice or rock
Having fun during winter is easy with the wide amounts of activities available. Keep your body and teeth protected at all times so this fun isn’t wasted on potential injuries.
Contact Seaver & Pittman for more tips to keep a healthy smile during the winter. Call our Bristol office at (276) 466-2028 or our Blountville office at (423) 217-1338.